Kazakhstan Adoption

Thursday, October 07, 2004

October 6

Wednesday
- My tummy is better today so I’m up for a bit of journaling. It is quite cold here all of a sudden. Imagine my surprise when I reached in the pocket of my leather jacket to find I only brought 1 glove. Well, if you look on the bright side - at least 1 of my hands is warm.
Olga came to the baby house during our visit(to collect $ for plane tickets back to Almaty). Pre-court has still not been arranged, but hopefully it will be on Friday. Krysta was tired & yawned through both visits. I think it’s cuz the room is so cold and she is bundled and toasty. She almost fell asleep during both visits, but kept jumping up when she heard voices in the hallway. She’s really nosey and just has to know what’s going on - takes after her parents I guess.
Today Darren & Crystal invited us out to lunch at the University Cafe. Mike had his heart set on making an egg sandwich and declined. Well when we finally found the cafe (it’s on the 4th or 5th floor) it looked like someone’s kitchen. We could see over the counter and it didn’t look so clean so we headed out. Actually Darren wanted to try it but Crystal and I outvoted him. So there we were back on the cold sidewalk and still hungry with no plan. We passed a place with English letters - New City. Hey! They must have an English menu. We opened the door and there was this staircase leading down and then another long hallway - not a soul in sight. Crystal and I sent Darren ahead. A few minutes later he came back and said he found it. He led us down into this deserted restaurant where we found out there was no English menu. He asked if the had the Logman (the national dish of Kaz). They said yes- so he held up 3 fingers and asked for Coca Cola. We sat down and someone brought us 3 bad smelling placemats & I just knew we were in for it. I was wrong (yes-me!). The Logman was huge and wonderful, sort of a beef lo mein in a rich tomato beef broth. Wow, it was so good and filling - And CHEAP - less than $3 a piece.
After that big lunch, we weren’t that super hungry for dinner. We went to Kamelot and I had a salad and chipped potatoes - the salad is called Amazement with apples, oranges, boiled eggs & roast beef pieces. Mike (who only had an egg sandwich for lunch) had roast meat Vienese style. It was excellent. It had stew beef, kidney beans, potatoes and carrots in a sour cream based sauce. I’m going to have it if we go there again. Crystal had the schnitzel again and Darren had somebodys island pork (sorry, some wierd dish names are difficult for my little pea brain to remember). We came home and continued our Uno tournament in the Sarvers apartment because they have a space heater (our apt does not). Now it’s time for bed because it’s cold. Ciao!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home