Kazakhstan Adoption

Monday, October 11, 2004

October 10

10 days and counting down...

Sunday-
Gray- gloomy & chilly day. Went to Dixie Pub for lunch - today is Crystal’s b-day. Daaren and Crystal had tex-mex...burritos and fajitas. Mike & I had burgers - big mistake. 1st of all, the Sarvers got their food and ours didn’t come and didn’t come and didn’t come... They were almost done by the time our burgers arrived (about 15 minutes after they were served). The burgers were more like meatloaf - very mushy and had to be eaten with a fork but spoon style since piercing the meat only made it fall apart more. French fries were oily -> 2 thumbs down for Dixie Pub.
We bought Crystal a lovely cake at the Little market. However, the icing was like sweetened Crisco. Not our best food day today.
- had a lovely afternoon visit with Krysta - took a couple of pictures.
On the way out of the baby house, it was cold and rainy so I closed the outside door behind me. I felt something stick me in the finger and looked to find a sharp, rusty screw was the culprit. As we drove home, visions of tetanus danced through my head. Why didn’t I get the booster? It’s fine though - barely broke the skin. I told Mike to watch and see if I foam at the mouth - wait! that’s rabies! What are the signs of tetanus?
Mike here....I am glad our visit in Uralsk is almost over. It was fun and interesting at first as I tried to communicate with the locals and find food we would like. But now the pushy and obnoxous people are tiring. The men (and older women) are so pushy - they push past you in line or if you open the door for a woman, the men will push right past them. I did notice that it is still a man’s world over here. The servers will serve the men first. But I see that women can also be pushy. But the people that work in the stores are very kind and some get a kick out of me speaking English to them.
Food and clothing is very inexpensive here. The gloves we bought for Philipige are very nice and only cost 300 Tenge, and the jacket set for Krysta was only 1,000 Tenge. Too bad I couldn’t find a nice jacket for Logan or myself. And we did not starve here since the food is so cheap. A loaf of bread for 25 Tenge, and Pepsi for 45....and as we have mentioned - we have all 4 eaten for under $20.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home