Kazakhstan Adoption

Friday, October 15, 2004

October 15

Friday
- Well, it was supposed to be 55 degrees today but the snow followed us from Uralsk. Mike & Krysta slept about 11 hours last night. I was up most of the night with chills and sweats. but I feel a bit better tonight. Wondered last night what I would do if I needed to go to a doctor.
We met the Sarvers for passport photos and lunch at the ‘American Bar & Grill’ (like a TGI Fridays). They serve breakfast until 12:00. We had a nice breakfast, though the pancakes were cold and dry as dirt. Next time I’ll order an omelette. ** Note to future travelers - they have booster seats but no high chairs.
Down stairs they have a movie theatre with a concession stand. After lunch, Mike & I wanted to upgrade the plane tickets to business class, so Andrei drove us to the Lufthansa office. We were unable to upgrade because we paid adoption rate for tickets. We’ll try again at the gate when we check in. We did buy a ticket for Krysta - for intercontinental flights, all passengers need a ticket. The cost was only $140.
Krysta is cutting her top 2 teeth and was fussy today. I can feel them poking through - poor baby! After that plane ride and all the changes in her schedule, not a great time to cut teeth. I guess it’s better now than on the plane next week.
Tomorrow, we are going to the Tsum (Zoom) store for souvenirs. We lost Krysta’s hat so we’ll have to get another one while we’re there. After that I want to go to Sasha’s to look at the dream quilts. For those who aren’t aware, Sasha (the Sarvers driver) runs a business selling Kazak artwork and quilts. They are also available from his website. I’ll print the web address tomorrow - can’t remember it right now.
Mike here....our driver is Andrei and he is excellent. He speaks very good English and is very good with Krysta. He does know alot about the area and is willing to do about anything we ask of him. I called him to night to arrange for tomorrow’s trip to the Tsum....not a problem. Since our apartment is within walking distance of a big supermarket and 2 restaurants with English menus, we probably won’t need to drive too much. We did talk about his charges. Just like we were told, it’s $5 per hour. So I asked if he charges for the full hour after he dropped us off at the restaurant then came back an hour later to pick us up - and he said that was up to us. Now,, isn’t that nice of him? He even told me I was the boss. Of course, we will pay him for that hour, but it was a surprise that he left it up to us.
Oh, the dishwasher here does an excellent job on the dishes. And the clothes washer works better than the one in Uralsk. The clothes actually come out smelling clean and not stiff. I wish we had this apartment for 3 weeks instead of the one we had in Uralsk. But it worked out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home